» Frequently Asked Questions
» Contact Support
» System Features
» Logging In
» Changing Your Password
» Posting A New Topic
» Sending Private Messages
» Active Topic Notification
» Adding A Watched User
» Adding A Signature
» Using Markup Codes (HTML)
» Using Faces (emoticons)
» Using Icons
» Anonymous User
» Private Message
» Registered User
Frequently Asked Questions
Why am I having problems logging in and staying logged in to the boards?
If you're having problems logging in and staying logged in, it's mostly likely
the result of your web browser either not having cookie support turned on or
it's not available by your browser. In some cases, your proxy server may not
allow cookies to be sent to or from your machine. Also check to see if your computer's
date/time is correct as dates too far in the past or future can cause browsers to instantly
delete a cookie. You can test your browser for cookie support using the
Cookie Test page. To view the current
list of cookies on your machine for the boards.theforce.net domain,
What features are available only to registered users?
- Ability to modify the number of topic subjects that can be viewed at one
time on a board index page. The default is 25 and the maximum is 50.
- Ability to modify the number of messages that can be viewed on a single page
of topic replies. The default is 25 and the maximum is 50.
- Ability to view the profiles of other registered users.
- Ability to view post statistics of other registered users.
- Ability to search for other users.
- Ability to add multiple topics to an "Active Topic
- Ability to add users to your "watched user" list. As a registerd user you can also
allow e-mail notification to yourself when a "watched user" posts a message.
- Ability to add boards to your "favorites" list. All favorite boards are
visible from the category/board listing page and dropdown menu.
What does each display setting actually do?
- "Board Index Active Sort" - Topics are sorted on the main board index in decending order by the
date of the topic's last reply. This causes a topic to be "bumped" up higher on the board index
when a new reply is added to it. This is the default board index sorting method.
- "Board Index Normal Sort" - Temporarily unavailable.
- "Flat Topic View" - A topic and its replies are listed on a page with both their subject
and body fully displayed. Large topics are broken down into multiple pages with a navigation
menu located at the top and bottom of the page. This is the default message view.
- "Threaded Topic View" - Temporarily unavailable.
- "Summarized Board Index View" - A board index is summarized by topics only. Each topic's
reply count, author name and date of last activity is displayed next to the topic subject. This
is the default board index view.
- "Expanded Board Index View" - Temporarily unavailable.
What do the star icons next to the user name stand for?
A star is awarded to a user once he/she posts a certain number of messages. Purposely spamming a
message board with senseless or empty messages to gain more stars is HIGHLY frowned upon! Moderators
have been known to ban a user and/or delete a user's messages as punishment. If this happens, you will
lose your stars!
1 star is awarded at 50 posts.
2 stars are awarded at 250 posts.
3 stars are awarded at 500 posts.
4 stars are awarded at 1000 posts.
5 stars are awarded at 5000 posts.
6 stars are awarded at 10000 posts.
7 stars are awarded at 20000 posts.
8 stars are awarded at 30000 posts.
9 stars are awarded at 40000 posts.
10 stars are awarded at 50000 posts.
What happens if I select a topic for "Active Topic Notification"?
Selecting a topic for Active Topic Notification allows you to receive e-mail notifications when that topic
has new replies posted to it. You can specify up to two notification e-mail addresses. You can manage your
topic notifications here.
You can even specify the date you want your notification to expire.
HINT: Some users make use of their instant messaging software's paging service when
supplying a notification e-mail address. Example: 'email@example.com'
What is a "locked" topic?
A topic can be "locked" by a board moderator or the original author. Locking a topic prevents it
from being replied to by anyone. Moderators and topic authors can also "unlock" a topic if they so
choose. Topic authors also have the option of starting a topic locked.
How come some user names are highlighted or in different colors? Can I change my colors?
System administrators, managers, moderators or VIPs (very important persons) are
the only users that are allowed to change their user name colors. This let's normal users
immediately identify them.
What happens when I select YES for "post notification" when adding a new user to my watched user list?
If you have provided a notification e-mail address, you will receive an e-mail notification
EACH time that watched user posts a message to the board system.
Which special markup codes are we allowed to use on boards that allow them?
Straight HTML is NOT allowed within message text. However, you are allowed to use the following
codes to perform special formatting of the message body text.
- [b]bold text[/b] will create bold text
- [i]italicized text[/i] will create italicized text
- [u]underlined text[/u] will create underlined text
- [blockquote]block quoted text[/blockquote] will place text in a block quote
- [color=red]red text[/color] will make red text
- [link=http://www.microsoft.com]microsoft.com[/link] will make a link to
- [hl=yellow]yellow highlighted text[/hl] will make yellow
- [hr][/hr] will create an header rule
- [ul][li]list item[/li][li]list item[/li][/ul] will create a un-ordered list
- [ol][li]list item[/li][li]list item[/li][/ol] will create an ordered list
- [image=http://web.address/image.gif] will create an image reference with small preview